Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Excel 2007 bugs (Read 13911 times)
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Excel 2007 bugs
05.01.11 at 16:02:26

We just upgraded to SQL*XL 5.0.4 from version 4 and 3 with Excel 2007 and we have noticed 2 bugs that are an annoyance.  First, every time we open an excel workbook that we previously saved, excel always opens a new workbook called Book1 right before it opens the workbook we requested which is a new bug with version 5.  Is there a way to stop it from opening book1 everytime we open a workbook?  The second bug which also happened in version 4 but not version 3 is when you copy a cell in excel you can no longer use the Esc key to stop the copy function and get rid of the dotted lines which means the data is ready to be pasted.  Is there a way to get the Esc key to stop the copy function?

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Excel 2007 bugs
Reply #1 - 06.01.11 at 08:59:19

• New workbook on starting Excel.
    SQL*XL should not create a new workbook when it becomes active. Only when it is used there should be a open workbook. If there is no open workbook SQL*XL will add a new blank workbook. The standard name Excel gives to the first workbook is Book1.

I am aware that in cases where SQL*XL is used in macros, in for example a Workbook_open macro that SQL*XL creates the empty workbook. Is this your scenario as well? Or does it cause problems everytime you open Excel? Excel will always create a new workbook when you start it unless you e.g. double click a workbook. Then only the workbook you double clicked should be opened.

Please tell me more about the problem you are experiencing.

• Stop copy cell function with Esc
    SQL*XL uses the clipboard for certain tasks. In old versions of Excel (before Excel 2007) this was necessary to build up the toolbar buttons of SQL*XL. In later versions (Excel 2007 and 2010) this is no longer necessary and the clipboard should not be used. It is only when you run a select statement and receive the results in Excel that the formats are pasted from the setting workbook (sqlxl_settings.xls).

Can you indicate when the Esc key stops working to cancel a copy cell function? Please try it before SQL*XL is used in Excel, after you login to the database and after you have run a query.

It would also be useful to know which version of Excel you use.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #2 - 06.01.11 at 14:34:32

This adding a workbook happens everytime we double click and open any excel workbook we have.  We are not using any macro's either.  This book1 opens even before we login into SQLXL.  The book1 opens before the workbook we double click on opens.

The ESC key doesn't work at all in stopping the copy function in EXCEL once SQLXL is installed.  It happens before I even login into SQLXL and happens after I login and run query.

Also, this is happening on all 4 pc's in our office since we installed version 5.  With Version 3 we had no problems with Excel 2007 and with Version 4 the ESC key stopped working with EXCEL 2007 and version 5 has now added the bug of opening book1 eveytime we open excel.

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 07.01.11 at 11:04:16

The problem with Book1 is fixed now. Thank you for making me aware of this.

The copy problem is more difficult to figure out. Somehow this Excel feature seems to have stopped working. I made some changes to avoid unnecessarily using the clipboard at startup in Excel 2007 and 2010 but that has not fixed the problem.

The new version will be released as version 5.0.6.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #4 - 07.01.11 at 14:44:30

Thank you so much for looking into this and fixing it.  Any idea when the new version will be available?

IP Logged
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #5 - 15.02.11 at 16:05:03

I was just wondering if there has been any progess in creating the new version 5.0.6 and when it will be released so I can download it?

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 15.02.11 at 22:55:39

Sorry. You can always see the current progress in the release log. Beta versions are available for download there:
http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1130772637

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #7 - 16.02.11 at 16:46:05

I installed the new version 5.0.7 and everytime I try and run a query I receive an error that is listed below

litSQLXL (2.0.5)
application:litSQLXL
Module:frmSQL
Routine:m_initialise
Error NO: 7
Error: Out of memory
Line: 10

Then I receive another error box that says
litSQLXL (2.0.5)
application:litSQLXL
Module:frmSQL
RoutineCheesyisplay
Error NO: 7
Error: Out of memory
Line: 150

IP Logged
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #8 - 21.03.11 at 12:54:14

Sorry to bother you again but does SQLXL limit the number of decimal places that you can enter into a database?  I am currently trying to put the number 155.1511 and everytime I go into the database only 155.15 shows up in the database.  I can manually enter the number with 4 decimal places and the vendor claims it has to be a setting with my software.  Any help would be greatly appreciated because we use 4 decimal places to be more accurate.

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 21.03.11 at 12:57:21

Hi,
No there are no limitations. Actually there are. Excel truncates after 12 decimals? I don't recall precisely where. And obviously the field that receives the information has a finite accuracy. See your table description for details.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
bosb00
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #10 - 25.05.11 at 16:48:19

Hello,

I was wondering if SQLXL version 5 that we use is compatible and tested with Microsoft Office 2010?  Our company is upgrading our laptops and wants us to switch to Office 2010 but I wanted to make sure SQLXL is compatible with the version we use since we use SQLXL every day.

Thank you for all your help.

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - 26.05.11 at 19:37:57

Hi,

Yes I can confirm that SQL*XL 5 works fine with Excel 2010 32 bits.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1