Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
ExcelLock: Partial locking of Excel cells (Read 5512 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

ExcelLock: Partial locking of Excel cells
03.01.11 at 11:13:16

ExcelLock: Partial locking of Excel cells

Quote:
I am now developing Excel MRP Templates in China.
I have a question..
Q1.
After I have lock part of the spreadsheet. I want the user to be able to lock their data that I did not locked.
Any solution on this?

Any sheet or range of cells that you do not want to protect, mark these with Excel's format cell function. Set locked to off in the protection tab. Excel lock will not lock these cells.  

Quote:
Thank you
Q2.
VB modules are password protected.
For cells locked by ExcelLock, can VB script from another workbook read it?

No, that is not possible. Through VB the cells can be found however the formula should not be disclosed when the cell is properly locked. I believe Excel displays error 2048 when you try it.

To add to the security the next release of the Excellock viewer software will not allow a second workbook to be open in Excel when viewing a locked file. As soon as a second workbook is opened it will close the locked file and exit.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: ExcelLock: Partial locking of Excel cells
Reply #1 - 04.01.11 at 09:30:41

Quote:
You said: To add to the security the next release of the Excellock viewer software will not allow a second workbook to be open in Excel when viewing a locked file. As soon as a second workbook is opened it will close the locked file and exit.

I think this is not a good idea, most people look at more than one workbook at a time.
Unless this is an option for the person who locked it. (to allow or not)
Unless there is real security reason for having another workbook opened at the same time.

I agree that people like to have multiple Excel workbooks open. When viewing a locked Excel file in the ExcelLock viewer will not prevent the user from opening another copy of Excel and opening workbooks in that.  

Quote:
After I locked my workbook and send to user:
i. User need to install your Reader.
ii. Then, User can continue working with the unlocked cells.
iii. Then, User can Save As with any options they choose.
Is the above Procedure correct?

Yes, the procedure is correct apart from the save option. The reader is free by the way. The user is not able to save the file under a different name. Changes to the sheet can be saved with the locked file.

Please understand that there are 2 Excel security programs. They both secure Excel documents but they differ in the goal that is to be achieved:

• encOffice:
    EncOffice is used to encrypt a document and to secure it with a secure password. This enables you to securely send the file to someone else. Intercepting the file will not enable someone to read it unless they have the password. Once they also have the password anything in the file can be viewed and altered unless you have use the standard Excel protection. Some of which can be unprotected using cracking programs.
    So if your goal is to send the file securely, it may e.g. contain sensitive of classified information, then encOffice is the program for you. The recipient however can remove all security from the file.
  • ExcelLock:
    The same encryption and password security is applied to filed but one extra level of security is added. If your goal is that users are not allowed to view your formulas, figure out and change how you have made your spreadsheet model, then ExcelLock is the software to use. It will open the file in a viewer that will only allow the Excel file to operate but changes are limited. If you don't specify anything the user will not be able to see any formula. If you have marked certain cells as unprotected then these cells can be modified and formulas will be visible. To discourage piracy the password of the file is not disclosed, the file cannot be saved with a new name, it cannot be copied. I have had reports of hacking software being unable to break in to the locked files. One client even tried it for 15 hours or so without succes.
    So if your goal is to protect your algorithm then ExcelLock is the program for you.

Quote:

Is any of the Microsoft Excel Functions or Menu Items disabled from used?

Yes, the Excel menus and toolbars (or in Excel 2007 and 2010, the ribbon interface) is not visible when viewing the locked file.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1