Linker IT Software
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Client software required to connect to Oracle (Read 4470 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Client software required to connect to Oracle
19.11.10 at 16:00:35
Client software required to connect to Oracle
I am interested in a trial of SQL*XL. My particular interest is in using SQL*XL to load data into an Oracle database with minimal user effort and involvement, and preferably as little setup/configuration as possible.

After browsing your website and reviewing the documentation and videos available I am still unclear exactly what, if any, software must be installed on the client machine in order to access an Oracle database. I saw references to using a database name that matches the TNSNAMES.ORA, but I couldn't see where the TNSNAMES.ORA file came from... Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Connecting to Oracle can be done in 2 ways:
1. using the Oracle HOME software sometimes also called the Oracle Client software.
2. using the Oracle Instant Client software. This is a set of files that do not need installation, just deployment.
In both cases you need to specify the details of your Oracle database server. That is done in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. You basically setup a TNSNAME, another word for an alias for your database. You can henceforth use the alias as database name while all the details how to get to the database, the protocol, port numbers, ip adress, etc is all configured in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.
« Last Edit: 19.11.10 at 16:01:34 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1