Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
CommSnif: which port to connect to (Read 2231 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

CommSnif: which port to connect to
11.10.10 at 10:45:49

CommSnif: which port to connect to

Quote:
Started CommSnif and set a port and its settings.
Opened another program and output data to COM port 2 (which I had nominated as the monitoring port) and the second program comes up with "Access to Port COM2 is denied"
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong

Once a program is connected to a COM port it will become blocked for another program to connect to it. In order to see what is going on you need to attach a cable and connect it to another machine or to another COM port to the same machine. Connect ComSniff (or COmTest) to that port to see what is going on.

Quote:
Do you have any software that can monitor the output of a com port. To be precise I have a program that outputs to say COM2 and I want to be able to run some sniffer software that can read the COM2 output and take action depending on what is sent to it. I do not want to have to feed the output of the first program into another com port or another computer to be able to decipher it. This is true sniffing software.

ComSnif does not capture the data before it is sent to the COM port. You attach it to a COM port and it will capture all events and data on that port. Apart from data on the port there are all kinds of switches that enable on the port. The way ComSnif does it will tell you precisely what a program on the receiving end will see.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1