Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
SQL*XL on Windows 7 and virtual Oracle 8i on XP (Read 3847 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

SQL*XL on Windows 7 and virtual Oracle 8i on XP
31.05.10 at 09:10:25

SQL*XL on Windows 7 and virtual Oracle 8i on XP

Quote:
I've installed Oracle 8i on Windows 7 using the XP Mode.The DB is installed on the XP virtual machine. I've installed SQLXL on WIn 7 but can't connect to the DB within XP.

Do you know of a way to make this connection? The XP machine does have a different name (webadmin3) than W7 (webadmin2) and is connected to and recognized as a separate computer on the local network with a distinct IP address.

I've tried using the IP address coupled with the SQLPLSconnectstring but no luck.

I would rather use SQLXL on Windows 7 but I suppsoe I could install Excel and then SQLXL on the XP mode and run it that way...correct?

Thanks,
Jack

This is equivalent to running SQL*XL on a different machine as the database. Therefore you must configure and run a listener on the database server. In your case this is the XP virtual machine with Oracle 8i. This enables remote machines to be able to connect to the db. Usually the listener is already running but you may wish to check the services list for the Oracle listener process for your database.  

Then on the client computer where you run SQL*XL you must have the Oracle client running. In your case this is the Windows 7 machine. In the network/admin directory you must specify the tnsname in the tnsnames.ora file. This provides and alias for your database. It is then this alias that you use in your connection string.  

Sorry that this is such a long answer. I better inform you fully. This is all Oracle architecture...

Quote:
No, not a long answer at all considering my question. I do have a listener running. I'm able to bring up a website locally that uses the Oracle DB.

I'll try installing the Oracle client but I'm not sure the version I have (8.1.6) will work on Windows 7. This is why I bothered to use XP Mode. We dropped Oracle support long ago so I don't have access to anything newer from Oracle.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Quote:
Hi Gerrit,

Your suggestion worked perfectly! I had no trouble installing Oracle Client on Windows 7 and then connecting with SQLXL.

Thanks for your help.

Be well,
Jack

« Last Edit: 31.05.10 at 09:10:58 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1