Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
64 bit (Read 10433 times)
spectrum
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

64 bit
15.04.10 at 14:13:27

Forgive my ignorance, i have performed a quick search around the site to see if this has already been asked in the forums to no avail. I'm having terrible trouble getting either oraexcel to sql xl to work on a Windows 64 bit install Sony laptop. I have connectivity to Oracle no problem but keep getting a '1004 connection error'. I've hard coded the location of the tnsnames.ora into the preferences of SQLxl but no joy.

has anyone succesfully got this fantastic application working on 64 bit?

Thanks

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: 64 bit
Reply #1 - 15.04.10 at 14:26:31

I have had reports that it works on 64bits machines.  

I understand you have problems connecting to Oracle. What happens if you try to connect to an access database? The difference between access and Oracle is that access is soo much easier to connect to. If Access works ok then I dare to say that SQL*XL should be fine and there perhaps is an issue in the Oracle home.

Can you report your findings back to te forum? Much appreciated.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
spectrum
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #2 - 15.04.10 at 14:30:52

Hello Mr Linker!

Can connect to access no problem at all. I've made some progress with the newest evaluation version of SQL xl - the error i am getting when trying to utilize 0040 connection is the following -  
unable to make connection, ORA-06413@Connection not open.

All assistance greatly appreciated. Your software has been a god send to us.

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 15.04.10 at 15:02:34

Hi,

I conclude from your experiences with Access that SQL*XL is ok on 64bits windows but that OO4O is not.  

There seem to be more people having problems with OO4O and Oracle 64 bits in general.  
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/ab66 2d63-6385-4f73-b27f-d526048f601f/

What happens when you try to use an ADO connection to Oracle (OLEDB or ODBC)?

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
spectrum
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #4 - 15.04.10 at 17:20:47

Yep seem to be having ODBC issues for sure with the Oracle driver. All very odd, would that be the cause of the issue you think? I can find lots of comment on line about known 64 bit Oracle ODBC issues. I'm imagining the fact we're running Oracle 8i doesn't exactly put me in a strong position to expect patches and updates seeing as it has been discontinued support for about the last 50 years!

I think I'm going to have to go back to user and get them to reinstall 32 bit sadly, it's a shame really.

« Last Edit: 15.04.10 at 18:05:25 by spectrum »  
  IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 15.04.10 at 22:29:32

But what about OLEDB? Have you tried that? This is the latest technology for the drivers and I cannot believe Microsoft introduced 64 bits but forgot about providing a stable OLEDB connection to 32bits Oracle.
I have another customer that has connected to Oracle 32bits (10g) ok.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
spectrum
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #6 - 16.04.10 at 12:54:54

Hi there

I've finally managed to get the ODBC drivers working and installed. Don't ask what a hassle it's been - i now have 3 versions of Oracle on the machine - 7 for the forms we're running, 8 for connectivity to our database and 10 for the ODBC!

Our app and reporting tools are working fine now and i can establish an ODBC connection to the database. I can browse the tables and all. However when i now try to use that ODBC connection in SQLXL i am told that "This error indicates that the service (ot TNS alias) specified when connecting does not exist."

I have set up my tnsnames.ora files correctly, i can successfully connect to the database (i've tested the connection in sql net easy config, net 8 config assistant and Net configuration assistant for all versions and it's fine).

So some progress but still no SQL XL

Thanks

« Last Edit: 16.04.10 at 13:11:02 by spectrum »  
  IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 16.04.10 at 13:30:44

Can you configure a DSN in the ODBC panel in the control panel? You can use DNS-less connections in SQL*XL but when fault finding I still find it useful to configure an ODBC alias in the control panel.

What has been a problem in the past with multiple Oracle homes in the order it which the homes appear in the path variable. Your path variable on the PC will include the path to all Oracle homes. I have seen cases where the Oracle home should be the first in the past where your database alias is in the TNSNames file.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1