Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Provider cannot be found (Read 4385 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Provider cannot be found
24.02.10 at 15:16:07

Provider cannot be found

Quote:
The error number/message we get for the OLEDB (Oracle) driver is:
‘-2147221502 Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed’.

I'm trying to establish a connection for a new user. However, when using the Database Connection Wizard, it does not appear to be locating his tnsnames.ora file, as the Test Status comes back failed for all drivers.

-- He did a brand new install of the Oracle Client.

-- I confirmed he has a valid tnsnames entry in the .../NETWORK/ADMIN directory (I can connect using the file from my pc).

-- I had him uninstall and then reinstall SQL*XL again (4.3.16 version)

-- I had him update the Connect Dialog parameter for the Location of tnsnames.ora for the explicit path where his tnsnames.ora file resides.

But I can't get the connection established. He is using Excel 2007, trying to establish an Oracle Database connection. I have verified his ability to connect to the database via other applications, so there is not a problem with his username/password. I cannot connect from his machine using my personal username/password.

It looks like there is a problem with MDAC on the machine. You can try to upgrade MDAC to the latest release in an effort to resolve the issue. Otherwise have a look at the microsoft support site to see whether they can suggest something. I know there are tools to check MDAC. I am not sure whether they can repair things too.

I must say, this rarely happens! If you can start over with this PC or restore an image...

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1