Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Display or input Chinese or Arabic in Oracle (Read 2892 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Display or input Chinese or Arabic in Oracle
02.10.09 at 12:14:15

Display or input Chinese or Arabic in Oracle

Using SQL*XL in Excel you can retrieve multi-byte languages from an Oracle database and display the information in Excel. Also inserting multibyte data into the database is possible with SQL*XL.

A short case desciption:

Please see the image below. I have added some engish words (ok, cancel and help) and their Arabic and Chinese equivalents to a spreadsheet.

To insert this data into the database I used the multiple rows insert function of SQL*XL.
I specified the table name as: nvarchar2_test, the column name as: word and then I selected the list of words. I ticked the create table option.
SQL*XL displayed a list of columns and datatypes. I chose the default datatype offered: nvarchar2.

The insert process was succesful and I ran the following query to retrieve the information back to the spreadsheet: select * from nvarchar2_test

As you can see, it worked fine!

Notes:
The character set of the database was UTF8. You can check what you have using the following query:
SELECT value$ FROM sys.props$ WHERE name = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET'
The NLS setting NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET used  was AL16UTF16. You can check what you use using the following query:
select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS

« Last Edit: 02.10.09 at 15:52:07 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1