Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
SQL Anywhere 5.5 connection (Read 8182 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

SQL Anywhere 5.5 connection
25.08.09 at 10:08:57

SQL Anywhere 5.5 connection

Quote:
I am evalualtiong your product and one type of dtabase that I need to connectto is a SQL Anywhere V5.5.03 WRT database, but I am having no luck getting it to work. I used the wizard with ASA database type, but get error "provider can not befound" message.

The error indicates that the OLE DB provider for the ASA database type was not installed. Perhaps there is a different provider installed.

Please try to make a new connection. Instead of using the connection wizard (which is usually the best choice of the options) use the Microsoft Data Link Properties wizard.
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/techniques/data_link_properties/

On the first tab it should link a provider specific for your database. If it lists any Adaptec or Sybase provider, try it.

I would be interested to hear if you managed to make a connection in such a way. I would like to build that into SQL*XL as well, so please let me know.

If it doesn't work, you can try a ODBC connection. In the new connection screen select the ODBC function to see whether you can create a connection using ODBC.

If this also does not help, perhaps the correct drivers/providers were not installed. I had a look at www.sybase.com but could not see which drivers they offered for download. Perhaps it is on your installation CD for the database? Keywords: client components or client drivers, ODBC, OLEDB.  

Let me know the outcome!

« Last Edit: 25.08.09 at 10:14:53 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: SQL Anywhere 5.5 connection
Reply #1 - 31.08.09 at 09:33:03

Quote:
I found out that I needed to use the ODC drivers from Sql Anywhere 9.0
or lower to connect to a V5.5 database. (This took quite a few Google
searches to discover)

I had Sql Anywhere 11 installed. By installing the 9.0 Developers
Edition from the Sybase site, the ASA ODBC 9.0 drivers were installed.
I setup an ODBC connection for the V5.5 database, which I was then able
to use with your product SQL*XL.

Thank you for letting me know

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1