Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Running: Shin problems (Read 10060 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Running: Shin problems
23.11.08 at 11:55:13

Running: Shin problems

I suffer some minor problems with shins at the moment. My running program is approximately 4 hours (40km) per week. I have over recent months intensified the training but kept the duration the same. In other words, I try to run faster not farther.
My shins are sensitive. Not during running. If I press the shin at certain points it is very sensitive. On the bone but also directly next to it.

I was advised to apply a cold pack. That helps! However after doing some running again the sensitivities return. The second advice was rest. I have not followed that up. Instead I will try to train less intensive keeping the duration the same. I read that sore shins can be due to overstriding. The other thing I will try is to buy new shoes as I read it can also be due to worn out shoes.

Reading up on this subject I found the following information.

Several shin problems can occur due to running. Most problems seem due to overuse.

Shin problems:

« Last Edit: 27.11.08 at 11:38:39 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Running: Shin problems
Reply #1 - 20.02.09 at 21:58:39

My shin problems are probably shin splints. It seems to be caused by over pronation, tight calves, going too fast/far too soon.

An ice pack helps. Massaging the calves helps too. I went to a running shop to get my shoes corrected for over pronation. Running on the uncorrected shoes showed a slight inward bending of the ankle when the foot touches the ground. With the correction in place no bending was observed anymore.

Running slowly for some weeks nearly removed the problems. I ran fast again one day and the problems returned. I did increase my running program from 4 to 6 hours per week. It would have been better to reduce the weekly distance.

There was a great article on shin splints in the Dutch Runners magazine.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Running: Shin problems
Reply #2 - 14.03.09 at 23:37:23

I notice that 2 stretches mentioned in the article help.

1: Calf stretches. Stand at arm length from a well, feet next to eachoter. Keep your feet on the floor and move your upper body to the wall. This should stretch your calf muscles.
Tense calf muscles can cause shin problems

2: Stretch the mucles in the front lower leg by sitting on your knees on the floor. Sit on your feet. For me this already stretches the front leg enough and I have the feeling this relieves my shin problems a lot.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1