Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Restricted Rollouts of SQL*XL (Read 2834 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Restricted Rollouts of SQL*XL
11.05.08 at 21:13:36

Restricted Rollouts of SQL*XL

Hi, I am an Oracle functional consultant and from time to time people request me to recommend a simple SQL tool.

They end up buying an expensive tool they don't need, until I bought yours on the weekend and had a play with it. Now I can recommend something more practical.

I was wondering about the possibilities of limiting the functional use of your product for specific companies, i.e.;

1. The user cannot create or change the sql scripts available for execution, allowing them to only execute the ones provided by IT.

2. Some kind of inbuilt http or ftp or LAN update that will refresh the list of SQL scripts they have access to, i.e. allow me to publish a list of scripts for each user and not have to manually update each PC with the list of available reports.

3. Lastly, if a company buys say, 10 licenses then I would like the ability for a completely hands-off installation. Some kind of server key or something.
The reason for this is that I have users in America and Japan and installing the key etc is difficult remotely. Is there some kind of server validation that could be made to ensure we didn't go over our number of purchased licenses?

Please let me know your thoughts on these as this kind of request comes up for me on a regular basis and I would like to know what is possible so I can let my customers know.

Thanks in Advance
Andy

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Restricted Rollouts of SQL*XL
Reply #1 - 11.05.08 at 21:14:57

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your email. I have put my ansers below. Please read on.

Quote:
1. The user cannot create or change the sql scripts available for execution, allowing them to only execute the ones provided by IT.

This is possible. SQL*XL can be limited to effectively only allow the execution of SQL scripts.  
See the first suggestion in the answer to the forum topic below. I suggest you use the security toolkit to not allow users to enter SQL but to only let them access the SQL files available is the SQL favorites list.
http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1130765426

The SQL favorites can be stored centrally on a network share and each user's SQL*XL can be pointed to get the favorites from that location. SQL Favorites are designed to work exactly as the Internet Explorer favorites list.
See also:
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/menu%20items/favorites.html

Quote:
2. Some kind of inbuilt http or ftp or LAN update that will refresh the list of SQL scripts they have access to, i.e. allow me to publish a list of scripts for each user and not have to manually update each PC with the list of available reports.

The SQL Favorites list are built up each time SQL*XL starts so you don't need a special refresh facility if you store it centrally. I also recommend you to make the share read-only to your users so you can ensure nobody changes the SQL files by accident or deliberately.

Quote:
3. Lastly, if a company buys say, 10 licenses then I would like the ability for a completely hands-off installation. Some kind of server key or something.
The reason for this is that I have users in America and Japan and installing the key etc is difficult remotely. Is there some kind of server validation that could be made to ensure we didn't go over our number of purchased licenses?

There is no SQL*XL license server that pings around to see how many SQL*XL licenses are in use at any moment. I trust you buy enough licenses to cover the usage of SQL*XL. If you don't want to monitor the number licenses in use we do a site license as well - which I am happy to supply even if your users are in America and Japan, hardly one site!.  

Central installation is an option if you use CITRIX. Without CITRIX it is also possible but I will need to provide some tips. I am sure we can work this out - over the 10 years I provide SQL*XL, installing the software even at the largest companies you can imagine has never been a problem.

Quote:
Please let me know your thoughts on these as this kind of request comes up for me on a regular basis and I would like to know what is possible so I can let my customers know.

If you have further questions, please let me know so I can advice further. If you would like to get some price quotes, also let me know.

Best regards,

Gerrit-Jan Linker

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1