Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
When SQL*XL does not show in Excel 2007 (Read 2544 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

When SQL*XL does not show in Excel 2007
31.03.08 at 15:44:22

When SQL*XL does not show in Excel 2007

SQL*XL uses a COM addin to add itself to the Microsoft Excel 2007 ribbon interface, the new toolbar in Office 2007. Occasionally people report that the software does not show up. This topic is intended to collect the causes and resolutions of these problems.

See also:
SQL*XL disappearing from Excel 2007  
http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1210534592/0

« Last Edit: 11.05.08 at 21:40:49 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: When SQL*XL does not show in Excel 2007
Reply #1 - 31.03.08 at 15:51:49

The addin file litSQLXLRibbon.dll

This file is used when communicating with the Microsoft Excel 2007 ribbon. The file is sensitive to being copied or replaced. To test this I renamed the file to another name, started Excel and noticed that the SQL*XL ribbon did not show. I renamed the file back to litsqlxlribbon.dll and still the file does not show in Excel. Note that you must restart Excel for it to have any effect anyways.  

The dll needs to be registered in the computer's registry to be fully functional. Aparently if you change the name and change it back to the original name the registry information is lost. Also moving the whole installation directory will break the registry information. It is easily fixed luckily! Just run the following command to add it again to the registry:
regsvr32 litsqlxlribbon.dll

After restarting Excel it actually shows up again in Excel.

« Last Edit: 31.03.08 at 15:52:19 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 06.07.09 at 10:22:58

SQL*XL disappearing from Excel 2007 and Vista

Quote:
The user was not able to have the SQLXL4 licensed addins on software available on his EXCEL sheet to perform his daily activities. He had tried to install it back but it didn_t worked, this is the 3rd time in 3 month since He had changed his operating system from XP to Vista that program disappears. I have installed the new version it installed sucessfuly but when I tried the 3 alternatives to show the macros on the worksheet nothing appears. Please note that the user does not have admin rights on his machine. Please help us to resolve the problem. Please let us know.

I tried the solution in the forum as they asked me to run the following command: regsvr32 litsqlxlribbon.dll. I run the command and I get the following error message from RegSvr32: The module "litsqlxlribbon.dll" failed to load. I tried to search for this file and I did not find it. Can you please inform us about the location of this file in the C drive or put it in your website to copy and then I will try the solution again. Please let us know as soon as possible.

Well, that is the problem! You found the cause of SQL*XL disappearing.  

Please run the installer again.  Then look again whether the dll is installed. If not please look in the event log if any installation errors occurred.  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 06.07.09 at 10:25:54

SQL*XL still not showing in Excel 2007

In reply to a message indicating that even after reinstallation the software is still not showing I provided this answer:

Please confirm that after the following procedure you do not see the ribbon toolbar in Excel 2007:
1. open Excel
The ribbon should be shown as indicated in this topic:
http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176407093

2. In case of a lockup or other Excel problem an addin can be listed as a disabled item.
Check that SQL*XL is not listed as disabled item. Go to the Excel options. Then to addins. Select to display the disabled items. Re-enable the item if it is listed there.

3. If not shown, is the litsqlxlribbon.dll in your windows\system32?

4. if this file is there, was it registered in the registry?
Open the regedit utility (Use Start, run and type regedit)
Go to the node \\My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Under this node there will be a lot of entries. They are listed alphabethically. If the litsqlxlribbon dll is registered correctly it will have created two entries in this list: litsqlxlribbon.Connect and litsqlxlribbon.clsSQLXLRibbon

5. if not registered use the following procedure to register the dll:
Open an MSDOS window, for example by using Start, run and typing cmd.
Use the MSDOS commands to change the directory to the windows system32 directory
Check the litsqlxlribbon.dll file is in this directory by typing dir litsqlxlribbon.dll
To register the file run the following command: regsvr32 litsqlxlribbon.dll
It should display a message indicating the dll was registered successfully.  
Now redo step 3 of this procedure to check whether the registration was successful. If not, contact your system's administrator as you may not have the privileges on your machine to register dlls. If you know the admin password, run the cmd.exe program in admin mode and then type the regsvr32 commands. That will work too.

With the above procedure you will have proven that the software is correctly installed. It should display in Excel 2007. If not it may be blocked in Excel 2007 somehow.

« Last Edit: 23.05.11 at 15:58:30 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1