Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Converting text to numbers in Excel (Read 9543 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Converting text to numbers in Excel
16.02.08 at 12:42:48

Converting text to numbers in Excel

Sometimes Excel formats numbers as text which leads to the numbers being unable to be used in calculations. Simply setting the format to numeric does not solve the problem. I encounter this problem sometimes when I import a CSV file.
To quickly convert a range of numbers that are stored as text (left aligned) to numbers (right aligned) you can use the following technique.

Select a cell with a zero value. You can type a zero in a unused cell and copy that cell.
Then select all cells that you want to convert to number. Select the paste special option and chose the operation add. It will add zero to all values. This will force Excel to convert the data to numbers.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
janine417
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: Converting text to numbers in Excel
Reply #1 - 21.02.08 at 21:25:03

I found your post while doing an internet search on Excel and currency conversion.  I am having trouble with an excel spreadsheet that I am converting from Euro to dollar.  However, the euro prices are listed with the european comma "," in between the whole numbers and cents, so that when I convert to USD it calculates it as thousands.  How can I change that entire column of figures with commas to periods "." ?   I would appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Email   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Converting text to numbers in Excel
Reply #2 - 22.02.08 at 10:36:15

Use the Excel search and replace utility. Do a search for comma and replace it by dot.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1