Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Connect Excel to SAP (Read 10300 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Connect Excel to SAP
26.01.08 at 11:47:18

Connect Excel to SAP

Recently we implemented the SAP system in our organisation. We have been unable to connect the SQLXL to the SAP system and I wondered if was possible.

Please let me know if we can hook up to SAP.

Answer:
It should be possible. SAP uses a database underneath. It may be Oracle, MS SQL Server, perhaps other database types too.  

You need to find out how to connect to it. If it is Oracle there will be an alias in the tnsnames.ora. Use the connection wizard in SQL*XL to attemp to make a connection.  

It is SQL Server. I tried again myself and seem to have made the connection.

Thanks!

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Connect Excel to SAP
Reply #1 - 29.01.08 at 21:04:56

Further question:
I made a connection to the database but when I used the SQL editor to
look at the tables all I could get was a general description of tables
which was no use to me.
I think that SAP has deliberately protected its database.  
I will try to find another database link which can be used for
enquiries.

Answer:
The knowledge of which table contains what is probably what you are missing. The best thing would be to search the web or your own documentation for what data is in which table.  

SQL*XL can also help. Select a schema (owner) in the sql editor and righ click. Choose to sample each table. It will produce a statement in the editor for each table to fetch 100 rows. Dumping a sample of each table may give you some idea where to look.  

You can similarly generate a count query for each table. Perhaps that is the best to start with. Look for the largest tables and sample some rows from those.  

When you run a lot of statements at once be sure to specify the resultset options only once so SQL*XL will only ask you for options the first query.  

« Last Edit: 29.01.08 at 21:06:06 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1