Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Long Delays Refreshing Imported SQL Data (Read 4903 times)
bonzie
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Long Delays Refreshing Imported SQL Data
17.12.07 at 17:06:13

Hello All,

I have been noticing that when I call in Data from MSSQL 2005 server view that the next time I call the view to refresh the data there is a long delay before it brings in the data, sometimes 5 or more minutes.  Is there a way to avoid this delay?

Thanks

CJ

Email   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Long Delays Refreshing Imported SQL Data
Reply #1 - 17.12.07 at 21:17:20

When you refresh a query the SQL is executed again and the results are dumped on top of the old data (the old data is removed first). So it is rather the same database query as the first time you returned the data into Excel.

Did it take over 5 minutes the first time you fetched the data into Excel?
Did you choose special options the first time that you forgot to set when you refreshed?

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
bonzie
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #2 - 19.12.07 at 13:53:56

First time is quick no delays, but after that it has the delay even if i put in a totally different query.  My workaround has been to create a macro that disconnects then connects to the DB each time a sql call is made.

All of my options are the same each time a sql call is made.  I does not seem to be the DB, i can query and update the views/tables in question while sqlxl is stuck so the table is not locked in any way.

Email   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 19.12.07 at 22:03:03

Interesting. It seems therefore it has to do with the connection and not with the mechanism of refreshing nor the SQL of the query.

I wonder which driver/provider you chose to connect to the SQL server database. Can you let us know please? What happens when you try a different driver? When you use the connection wizard it should try a couple of different drivers. Try another one and let us know what happens please.

What happens when you do the scenario manually by connecting and running a query 1 which should perform normally and immediately thereafter run a second query. Does that experience the delay you mention?

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1