Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Upgrading vmware workstation 5 to 6 (Read 6965 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Upgrading vmware workstation 5 to 6
25.11.07 at 17:34:58

Upgrading vmware workstation 5 to 6

I just purchased an upgrade of vmware workstation. I own a license for version 5. Half a year ago I upgraded for free from 5.0 to 5.5. Unfortunately copying and pasting between virtual machines was not working anymore after my upgrade. I hope this is restored in version 6. The reason I upgraded to version 6 today was that fitting the window of a vista vmware machine did not work. I hope they implemented some other nice features too. I read something about performance gains, USB2 support, etc. I will reply to this topic with my experiences.

Purchasing the upgrade was easy. After entering the credit card details I received the upgrade instantaneously by email. I am now downloading the product. That results in the first noteoworthy difference. Version 5.5 was approximately 95 MB. It is downloading 315MB for version 6...

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Upgrading vmware workstation 5 to 6
Reply #1 - 25.11.07 at 19:11:01

The new vmware workstation version 6.0 seems to have a few new features. In the file menu there is an import option with which a physical machine can be converted to a virtual one. Handy! I think I will use this feature when I will reinstall my host operating system. That way I won't loose anything and just in case I may need something that worked on the old PC I may be able to have a look.

In the options there is now an option to leave a vm running in the background after closing it. This can be handy too. Often I connect to the virtal machines through remote desktop connections.

There is an option now to reserve the memory vmware can use for the virtual machines. Also can be specified if the virtual machines should share memory. Sounds good so far!

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 25.11.07 at 19:18:21

I am getting errors now! vmware 6 remembered the virtual machines that were configured as favorites. Clicking on them it cannot find them and red crosses appear. When clicking a vmx file display a warning that there are not sufficient privileges to open the file.

It starts to fail on me now. Error messages occur frequently and vmware stops after some of the errors. Not good!

After much experimentation it seems the problem is with remote virtual machines. I store the virtual machines on a NAS. Accessing these virtual machines using a mapped drive or directly through an UNC path gives rise to the error. I am going to report this to vmware and meanwhile I will be going back to version 5.5!

This is the main error message I am stuck behind:
Could not open virtual machine: \\server\share\dir\myvm.vmx
You do not have access rights to this file

Oh, yes I do! I can open it in notepad ... or in vmware 5.5...

« Last Edit: 25.11.07 at 20:01:17 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 17.12.07 at 11:47:13

The problem seems to be that the directories on my NAS are marked readonly (grayed out though) although I have full read/write access to them. I have not yet found any software program that has a problem with it but apparently vmware workstation 6 has a problem with it.  

I have logged a call with Western Digital.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1