Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Error when opening excel (Read 4269 times)
Twildey
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Error when opening excel
09.11.07 at 16:41:20

I had sqlxl 3 trial version, then bough the newer version just a few days ago.  Since the install I have been getting the following error when I open excel:

‘C\Program Files\SQLXL3\sqlxl.xla’ could not be found.  Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the File menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

I have tried to unistall and reinstall all of the sqlxl programs, but no luck getting rid of the error. I have also tried the suggestions on the forum, including removal of the .dll files. Any suggestions????
Thanks!

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Error when opening excel
Reply #1 - 09.11.07 at 20:57:28

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you have problems. Luckily I can say that this is easy to fix and nothing has compromised your Office nor your Windows installation. The thing is that you removed or moved the SQL*XL software and that Excel cannot see it anymore.  

First please notice the following:
In the recent versions of SQL*XL - from version 4.0 upwards I recall - we do not install SQL*XL into Excel anymore. The only thing SQL*XL does is that it leaves the menu and toolbar in Excel. Clicking the menu or toolbar will load SQL*XL into Excel and then the fun can begin. Excel 2007 works entirely different but again only SQL*XL is called when you click the SQL*XL tab on the Excel ribbon interface.

Before SQL*XL 4.0 we used to register the software as an addin in Excel. When Excel loads, SQL*XL loads into Excel. Whether you use it or not. I believe that this is the case on your PC. You removed the SQL*XL 3 installation but Excel doesn't know. When it loads up it looks at the SQL*XL software but nothing is there... and it complains about it.

To remove the configuration from Excel that SQL*XL is installed as an addin, go to the Tools - Addins menu. In the list of addins untick the entry for the SQL*XL software (still earlier versions of SQL*XL many show the oraxcel addin and in that case untick oraxcel). Close Excel and start it again. Now Excel should not load SQL*XL and no message will show.

You may find that the SQL*XL toolbar and menu are still there. Clicking the toolbar or menu will produce the error by the way. To remove the toolbar and menu manually please following the instructions in the following topic (manual SQL*XL removal).

Manual SQL*XL removal
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/trouble_shooting/uninstall.htm

Please note that prior to removing or moving SQL*XL, go to the SQL*XL about dialog and press the remove from Excel button. Then close Excel and remove the software. If you do it the other way around follow the before mentioned manual uninstallation procedure.

« Last Edit: 03.02.10 at 17:49:58 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Twildey
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: Error when opening excel
Reply #2 - 12.11.07 at 12:50:36

IT WORKED!!! SmileyThank you very much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1