Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
RIPE IP addresses are blocked on webservers (Read 6472 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

RIPE IP addresses are blocked on webservers
28.10.07 at 08:06:37

RIPE IP addresses are blocked on webservers

To my amazement I found out today that some websites block all traffic from RIPE IP addresses. This effectively means that all traffic from The Netherlands is blocked by that site. Is this a sign that The Netherlands is a becoming a spamming and hacking nation? As a legitimate emailer and website user I would not like to be restricted...

This is the story:
I wanted to access a website. When I could not get there I did a traceroute to see where traffic was blocked and I emailed the webmaster of the site (who I emailed before so I had the email address). He told me that he forcefully blocks all traffic from RIPE IP addresses in The Netherlands. He said: Quote:
"Evidently, there are constant hacker attachs coming from there."

Googling around I found this blog http://meadowhill.org/blog/how_to_block_ripe_ip_addresses.html from a small publishing company who writes:
Quote:
Just in case you ever wondered who you should block off and keep almost 100% of your site free from spammers, scrapers and hackers, Ive found its always a good idea to block off the RIPE network. Not that its all a bad thing, or that you dont get legitimate traffic from there, its just that a full 100% of the traffic I got from there was spammish.

To my knowledge RIPE is an Amsterdam based organisation who allocate IP addresses. On their site they claim to be one of five regional organisations that provide this service. See www.ripe.net.

I use the internet provider Planet Internet (www.planet.nl). Aparently we have the RIPE IP addresses that spammers, hackers and the likes seem to use. I hate to find myself in the situation that I cannot see the full internet and that some sites aparently block traffic from Planet Internet (and possibly other Dutch internet providers).

« Last Edit: 28.10.07 at 08:17:03 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: RIPE IP addresses are blocked on webservers
Reply #1 - 30.10.07 at 10:36:41

We seem to have a very high adoptation of broadband internet in The Netherlands. Most have fixed IP addresses. These sets of fixed IP addresses are tried out by computer criminals to make so called zombies. Certain zombienetworks need to infect 3000 extra PC's per day to keep an active network of 100,000 PC's. The zombie network is then used to stage a massive attach on web servers.

So, due to the high number of vulnerable PC's (home users may not have adequate firewalls, virus scanners, etc) in the RIPE IP ranges it looks like the RIPE network is full of cyber criminals.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1