Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Hard disk benchmark using HD tach (Read 3779 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Hard disk benchmark using HD tach
22.10.07 at 19:38:43

Hard disk benchmark using HD tach

Investigating the speed of a hard disk can be performed using the HD tach program. This excellent and free program is from SimplySoftware.

See: http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

I downloaded version 3.0.4.0, only a mere 1 MB. The installation was quick too.  

Starting HD tach I selected my hard drive from the list of available drives and performed a quick test. It first performs a burst test. Then a CPU test a random access test and a sequential read test THe first three tests were performed in about 10 seconds each. THe last test, the sequential read test took a couple of minutes. During this test the PC was barely usable...

The result of the test shows in a neat graph and the speed is compared to a SCSI Ultra 320 (320 MB/s), a Sata 150 at 150 MB/s, a ATA UltraDMA 6 going at 140 MB/s.

My disk showed just as 3.2 MB/s. An earlier test a couple of months ago scored above 300 MB/s. There is clearly something wrong with my hard disk. It was replaced already once because of this reason...

« Last Edit: 22.10.07 at 19:47:02 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1