Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Google Desktop (Read 3696 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Google Desktop
21.08.07 at 09:07:14

Google Desktop

I downloaded Google Desktop to show some information I am regularly accessing / checking on the internet. I am regularly checking some RSS feeds and I check the weather info (radar) regularly. In addition I like to keep watch of some financial information. I tried to use the Google Desktop to achieve this and after a bit of experimentation it works!

Google Desktop can be downloaded from: desktop.google.com.
The installation is quick and simpel. The google bar by default shows on the right hand side of the screen and several default gadgets are loaded by default such as the local weather and a notepad.

You can add gadgets to this google bar from the top menu. In the economy section I found a stock gadget but that was not able to show other stocks than US stocks. After some investigation I installed the Bloomberg Stock Watcher Plugin. This is available when you change the language to English. It allows the index I wish to see (the Dutch AEX index) to be added. The only clumsy thing is that the name of the index (AEX:IND) is half truncated on the display. Well, I can see the value clearly so it doesn't bother me too much...

For RSS feeds there is an RSS gadget. You can just enter the feed url and it displays the last topics. Handy! You must uncheck the auto add related feeds. After an hour my display was clogged with other feeds. I just want the ones I selected! Uncheck the auto add box...

I was also able to add some cool weather gadgets. The actual weather radar from www.buienradar.nl, the Dutch weather radar can be shown. Really nice...

So, overall I am quite satisfied.

« Last Edit: 21.08.07 at 09:17:23 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Google Desktop
Reply #1 - 22.08.07 at 07:17:31

Installing the Google Desktop behind a firewall is a totally different ball game! Nearly no gadget works. The exception is the standard local wether gadget. I am trying to get the Bloomberg stock gadget to work but it won't even install. I then tried the direct link at http://desktop.google.com/plugins/i/bloombergstock.html?hl=nl; found this link through a search in Google. It installs just fine and it is picked up immediately by the Google Desktop and the gadget is inserted. I added a stock and now that sits with a retrieving... status displayed in the gadget. It is stuck behind the firewall...

I tried to add the ip address of www.bloomberg.com to the exceptions list of the firewall but to no avail. I am stuck...

« Last Edit: 22.08.07 at 07:29:33 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1