Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Transactions and autocomit (Read 3840 times)
grahamf
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Transactions and autocomit
15.03.07 at 12:08:40

In standard ADO, I would normally autocommit all my updates, and then if I wanted to run a transaction I could just call the BeginTrans method.. followed by CommitTrans on the connection object. With SQL*XL can I still do this - I do I have to close the connection and re-open it?
Thx
Graham

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Transactions and autocomit
Reply #1 - 15.03.07 at 21:17:50

SQL*XL opens a connection without the autocommit option. Immediately after opening the connection a transaction is started using begintrans. When you commit or rollback the next transaction is started immediately. This is embedded in the core of SQL*XL and it would be difficult to change this behavior.

If you need full control over your transaction I suggest you use a rollback or commit explicitly in the sections you need to. Always use a commit or rollback at the end of the processing to ensure the correct end of the transaction is made. By default, SQL*XL commits after disconnecting.

If you would manually reconnect in ADO you may get unpredictable results and SQL*XL may behave erratic.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
grahamf
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: Transactions and autocomit
Reply #2 - 16.03.07 at 11:23:34

Thanks for clarifying this. Better to know early than discover this by accident later!
Graham

IP Logged
Pages: 1