Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2 (Read 7785 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2
04.03.07 at 13:39:11

Installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2

SQL*XL user Norbert from Belgium has some problems installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2. I have tried this scenario and in this topic I have published my findings.

Norbert explains he can install and use SQL*XL fine when he uses an administrator account or an account with administrator privileges.

I started to create a new user account at the users applet in the control panel. I selected limited user as account type. After creating the user I logged off and connected to windows using this limited accouunt.  

On running the SQL*XL the following dialog appears:
Install Program As Other User

Some programs will not install correctly if you do not have administrative privileges on this computer. If you know the password to an administrative account, you can use that account to install the program.

choice 1: Run the program as thiscomputer\limited_user
choice 2: Run the program as the following user

When I choose option 1 I get the following setup error:
Setup fatal error: Unable to generate installation log file.

Clearly I need to run the setup with sufficient privileges. I then opted to use my administrator account. Installation when through without a hitch.

Starting SQL*XL using the limited account was ok. It took the activation  key and restarting the program it showed one further error. It has no write privileges in the SQL*XL program directory. The following error was displayed:
Failed to create SQL Favorites folder

Give SQL*XL sufficient privileges on the program directory or use the following very pragmatic solution. Just copy the sqlxl.xla and sqlxl_settings.xls files into your MyDocuments folder and run the sqlxl.xla file from there. Just double click it to start. After it has been run once, you can just start SQL*XL by starting Excel and click on the SQL*XL toolbar which remains in Excel.

« Last Edit: 04.03.07 at 22:05:18 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2
Reply #1 - 06.03.07 at 07:23:52

I have relocated the SQL Favorites directory. By default it will now be located in the user's application data/LITSoftware/SQLXL/SQLFavorites folder. The change is made in SQL*XL version 4.1.12

Aparently programs cannot assume to have write privileges in the application directory anymore. This is true for Windows XP SP2 (Windows XP without the SP2 is fine) and Windows Vista.

« Last Edit: 06.03.07 at 07:25:07 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Installing SQL*XL on Windows XP SP2
Reply #2 - 10.03.07 at 10:25:35

I have implemented some changes to better work with the new security settings in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista. These changes are made in SQL*XL 4.1.12.

The location of the SQL Favorites have changed. The default location was the SQL*XL application directory. However in these new versions of Windows a limited user has no write access to this directory. In windows Vista not even a user with admin rights will have write access when he runs the programs installed there. On installation the admin user has write privileges. On running the program he has not.

Therefore the location of this directory has changed to the application data section on the C drive. For each user known on the PC a different application data section is available. Now the SQL Favorites are moved here it has the additional advantage of being able to provide a different set of SQL Favorites to different computer users.

You can still put the SQL Favorites anywhere you like on your PC or on your network. You don't need write privileges per se. You may also create the SQL Favorites directory as a readonly set of files. In the program preferences you can change the directory that is used to store the SQL Favorites.

The second change has to do with the formatting options. These options are saved in the sqlxl_settings.xls file. The default location for this file was the SQL*XL application directory to which we don't have write access anymore in XP SP2 and in Vista. SQL*XL will now also use this file from the application data directory. If the file is not yet there it will copy the file from the application directory. Again, this has the advantage that each user on the PC will have his own settings file.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1