Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
sql 2005 express (Read 11563 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

sql 2005 express
27.02.07 at 14:36:24

Connecting to sql 2005 express

Just finished a small battle with SQL 2005 to connect to it from Excel using SQL*XL. Now I have done it it doesn't seem to be too difficult, however figuring out how to do it took some time again.

I had to switch on TCP/IP.
In the SQL 2005 Express program group there is a configuration utility called SQL Server Configuration Manager.  
In the SQL Server 2005 Services section I enabled the SQL Server Browser. In the SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration I set the following protocols for SQLEXPRESS: Shared Memory and TCP/IP

I restarted the SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) in the SQL Server 2005 Services section.

In the SQL Server Management Studio Express software I added a new user for my database.

In the SQL*XL Connection wizard I used the following settings:
user: gjlinker
password: mypassword
server: mymachine\SQLEXPRESS

It connected ok using ODBC with SQL Server security or Windows authentication. It also connected fine with OLE DB for both methods.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1