Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Office 2007 addin using classic Visual Basic - VB6 (Read 9518 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Office 2007 addin using classic Visual Basic - VB6
24.02.07 at 10:31:12

Office 2007 addin using classic Visual Basic - VB6

After much experimentation I am glad I have managed to make an Office 2007 addin using Visual Basic 6. All the documentation available is for .Net and VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for Office). However it works just fine making an addin with VB6. You don't need anything extra.

If you are interested in how the technique works or if I can implement an addin for you, just let me know.

I have built a new user interface for Excel 2007 for SQL*XL. It is a COM addin. It adds a new tab in the Excel ribbon.  

Installing the COM addin is simpel. I can also provide help with that. Making the addin work with previous versions of Office is also catered for. I have coded the enabeling and disabeling of button, creating button images dynamically.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
mattiasw
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: Office 2007 addin using classic Visual Basic -
Reply #1 - 15.03.07 at 08:22:13

I have a COM-addin created using classic vb6. I thought I would convert it VSTO, but after reading about all the version problems you get if you want to support Excel 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2007, I will not bother this time. Maybe when Visual Studio 2007 is released.

However, it would be nice if I could make a special Excel 2007 version that uses Ribbons instead of menus, since add-in menus look awful in Excel 2007.

Did you succeed in implementing Ribbons using VB6? Any pointer, or any sample code?

-- Mattias

P.s. The only problem I got with the COM-addin was when making sure it works in Vista. If a non-administrator LUSER installs my program, he has to give the credentials for an administrator EXPERT, and then the registry entries for the add-in are saved in the HKCU for the administrator EXPERT instead for the non-administrator LUSER installing. However, the fix is easy, just copy the registry entries for the add-in from the HKCU from the administrator EXPERT to the non-administrator LUSER.

IP Logged
mattiasw
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #2 - 15.03.07 at 08:39:32

I found the answer myself:

http://www.excelkb.com/article.aspx?id=10215

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 15.03.07 at 21:32:54

I use similar code. I did find however that the code only works well when you build it to a dll and not run it inside the VB6.exe.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
mattiasw
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #4 - 16.03.07 at 18:56:14

I developed the ribbon using VB6 and then used the combination of VB6+Excel to debug, and I didn't have any problem. However, Excel 2007 will not be my main development area, I develop using Excel 2003 + vb6. Essentially, I only replaced the previous menu with a ribbon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1