Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
SQL*XL Table Backup - Feature Wish List (Read 8612 times)
SBRAL
YaBB Newbies

Vires En Numerus

SQL*XL Table Backup - Feature Wish List
28.01.07 at 00:14:26

Gerrit,

Would it be possible for you to look into an SQL*XL table backup procedure/feature to effectively extract the contents of an Oracle data table into excel, without the limitations of the 65535 rows, and to get it to automatically create a new tab in excel so that the data could continue to be written to the spreadsheet, until all the data has been copied? Smiley

I know you can set the options to show how many rows are being returned, could you use this value to loop the export into each excel worksheet.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Regards,

SBRAL

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: SQL*XL Table Backup - Feature Wish List
Reply #1 - 28.01.07 at 21:45:35

Hi,

That is a good idea. In itself it is not hard to build in but I am also working on some reporting functionality which spoil things a bit. That is support for the basic SQL*Plus reporting commands ttitle, title, btitle and the report breaks and computes.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
SBRAL
YaBB Newbies

Vires En Numerus

Reply #2 - 28.01.07 at 22:56:42

Thanks for your prompt response. Great product by the way! Well done!

IP Logged
SBRAL
YaBB Newbies

Vires En Numerus

Reply #3 - 27.09.07 at 09:54:06

http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1187878422/0

Looks like you have now done this.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 27.09.07 at 17:55:39

Hi,

Yes I have! Sorry I have not kept this up to date. It is sometimes difficult to maintain consistency at all levels...

Yes, the 65k row limit is lifted. In fact there is no limit anymore now. Upon reaching the end of a worksheet SQL*XL will simply create a new sheet and continue there until that one is full. The process continues indefinitely in theory. The practical limit will be memory as there is no limit of "tabs" in an Excel workbook.

One practical suggestion. Please ensure you switch on the large query support option in the resultset options dialog. Without this setting you will see memory usage increasing while SQL*XL steps through the records. With the large recordset option turned on this increase is much less. Actually the only reason memory usage will increase is due to the growing Excel contents.

Hope you enjoy the table backup feature.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1