Linker IT Software
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Stop Oracle 8i database on windows NT (Read 4105 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Stop Oracle 8i database on windows NT
28.12.06 at 11:17:55
Stop Oracle 8i database on windows NT
To stop an Oracle 8i database on windows NT the following procedure can be used.
First, see whether the database is running. From the control panel, start the services applet. For each running database there is a service called OracleServiceXXXX. My database is called TESTMB and I see the item OracleServiceTESTMB listed. Check the status to see whether it is running (started).
The program svrmgrl can be used to start and stop the database. With the ORACLE_SID environment variable it is determined which service will be worked on with svrmgrl. I want to work with the TESTMB service. In MSDOS I am defining the ORACLE_SID variable:

C:\>echo %ORACLE_SID%

Now start the svrmgrl program in the same MSDOS session. Then login as internal and check that we work on the correct database:

Oracle Server manager Release - Production
Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release -  Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release - Production
SVRMGR> connect internal

Now we can stop the database with the shutdown immediate command. All sessions are aborted!

SVRMGR> shutdown immediate;
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.

Now the database instance is shut down, stop the service from the services applet in the control panel.
This completes the procedure to stop a database service.
« Last Edit: 28.12.06 at 11:36:28 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1