Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Showing UNIX directory listings (Read 3246 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Showing UNIX directory listings
26.11.06 at 21:49:10

Showing UNIX directory listings

To show a directory listing in UNIX you use the ls command. I believe it means list, at least this is the way I remember the command.

The ls command has various options. Always a good reference are the manual pages. If you type man ls you will probably get more information than you really want to read.  

I would like to explain the few ls commands I frequently use:

ls
ls shows the directory listing in wide format. I never use it this way because it is difficult to find the file you are looking for.

I rather like to use the command ls -l
When you use ls -l the directory is shown as a detailed list with file modification date and group info and file permissions.

When I worked at theTheoretical Chemistry group at Groningen University (http://theochem.chem.rug.nl/) our system admin Johan defined an alias (was that in the .pofile or the c-shell init file) so we coul duse ll. A small tweak but that was very handy!

The drawback of ls -l is that the list is usually too long. I frequently pipe the information to the more command to display it page by page:
ls -l | more

To display hidden files you can use the ls -a command. Hidden UNIX files start with a full stop. For example .profile.

Another little gem is this one: ts[tt] [tt]-lrt
This command shows the detailed listing sorted by modification date, the last modified file shown last in the list.

« Last Edit: 26.11.06 at 22:15:14 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

UNIX: listing directories only
Reply #1 - 05.11.10 at 12:19:36

UNIX: listing directories only

To list directories only you can use the -d switch.

Example: list all directories stating with a p:
ls -d p*

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1