Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
encOffice/encDOC - Unable to view in Word 2000 (Read 4726 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

encOffice/encDOC - Unable to view in Word 2000
16.06.06 at 12:44:50

encOffice/encDOC - Unable to view secured files in Word 2000

I investigated a question from Frank from The Netherlands. He could not open an Excel document secured with encXLS in Excel 2000: http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150454216
I found that a different message is displayed in Word 2000 when trying to open an encOffice secured Word document.

On opening the MS Word document that was secured using encDOC, MS Word asks first for the password. After the (correct) password was entered the following message is displayed:  

The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
* Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
(C:\...\myfiles\myfile.enc.doc)

Please note that viewing documents created by encDOC is only possible with Word 2002 (XP) or later.

References: www.oraxcel.com/projects/encoffice  

« Last Edit: 16.06.06 at 12:46:00 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
zerojohn
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: encOffice/encDOC - Unable to view in Word 2000
Reply #1 - 15.09.07 at 10:51:34

This is because Word 2000 and earlier versions do not support strong encryption. They only support a cryto service provider with known vulnerabilities. EncOffice uses a Crypto service provider (CSP) with strong encryption. That CSP is only supported from Word 2002.

See also http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/encoffice/help/protect_word.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1