Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
ORA-00979: not a Group by expression with MSDAORA (Read 10618 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

ORA-00979: not a Group by expression with MSDAORA
15.05.06 at 10:03:35

ORA-00979: not a Group by expression, using the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle (MSDAORA) provider

SQL*XL user Viesta asked the following question.

Question:
SQL*XL has a problem with my SQL statement. I am getting: ORA-00979: not a Group by expression
The statement works ok in SQL*Plus.

Answer:
My guess is that this is a problem with the provider/driver. You are using the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle (MSDAORA). Perhaps you can try the Oracle OLE DB provider (OraOLEDB.Oracle).

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: ORA-00979: not a Group by expression with MSDA
Reply #1 - 15.05.06 at 10:05:08

The user reported that this fixed his problem.

The drivers or providers seem to implement some of the SQL statement parsing. I occasionally see these problems. I have seen evidence of problems with the statements: group by, union, minus and intersect.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Herve
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Reply #2 - 29.05.07 at 20:47:26

Hello,

do you remember what was used to solve this issue, we have the same problem today, our test environment is working but not production with exactly this symptom...

Thanks, Herve

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 30.05.07 at 07:25:20

Yes I remember. The user chose to use a different driver. You are using the MSDAORA driver or better I should call it provider, that is the Microsoft ADO term for driver. When you make a new ADO connection you will see a list of installed providers. One of them is the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Oracle or MSDAORA for short.

It seems that this problem is with this driver. You can try to upgrade it but it is probably easier to choose a different driver/provider to see if that fixes the problem. And, other drivers are already installed on your computer by default by MDAC or even natively in the windows version you use.

Try to use the Oracle OLEDB provider (from Oracle and not from Microsoft). It is called OraOLEDB I believe. You can also opt to use the Oracle Objects for OLE driver which is called OO4O in short. You probably will need to download OO4O from Oracle.

The best thing perhaps is to use the SQL*XL connection wizard. It will try most used drivers and just tries them. From a list you can see which connections worked and you can pick one you would like to use.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1