Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Setting file privileges on Win XP Home (Read 4418 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Setting file privileges on Win XP Home
03.04.06 at 09:45:07

For my multi PC backup solution I am trying to setup file privileges or privileges on a volume/disk in Win XP Home. It seems that an ordinary network share, shares the files but it does not allow another user to remove files. For my backup solution I want to move the backups from the PC to my backup computer so I need the backup computer to be allowed to delete the files on the share.

To enable setting privileges in Windows XP Home you need to start the PC in safe mode with networking support. Reboot the computer keeping the F8 key pressed.

Right click on the share and choose properties. You now see the options sharing and security. In sharing you can now assign full control to the share.

« Last Edit: 03.04.06 at 11:24:05 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Setting file privileges on Win XP Home
Reply #1 - 03.04.06 at 11:19:20

One quirck I just noticed is that when you try to change a share name on Windows XP Home it will not let you. You need to untick the checkbox to share this directory first and apply it. Then right click on it again to go to properties where you can setup the share again...

Also note this:
If you want to share files across a network and you want to give specific privileges to different people the best thing to do is to setup a domain. If you cannot setup a domain you can make a workgroup (just type a name for it in the network settings). To share files across the network it is important that you use the same usernames and passwords on the accounts on all PCs. So if you have an account on PC1 and on PC2 you need to use the same account name and password in order to access files on the two PCs. Please note that you can change your account name but that may just rename the label. If you need to rename a user it is probably best to create a new user with the new name.

« Last Edit: 03.04.06 at 11:23:18 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1