Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Copying files across a 802.11g 54Mbps network (Read 5221 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Copying files across a 802.11g 54Mbps network
02.04.06 at 14:15:47

For my multi PC backup solution I am copying large 700MB disk images across the network using a 802.11g 54Mbps network link. Network usage went up to 11% (100% is 100Mbps,  the max bandwidth of my wired LAN). This means I am only using 11Mbps (=1.3 MB per second)

PC and wireless access point (integrated in my Speedtouch ADSL modem) are approximately 3 meters apart. Signal strength is excellent.

If you have any thoughts on why I can only get up to 11Mbps,  please let me know.

« Last Edit: 03.04.06 at 09:39:18 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Copying files across a 802.11g 54Mbps network
Reply #1 - 04.04.06 at 10:58:10

I have redone the experiment, copying the files to another computer on the network. Data speed was higher, 18% of the 100Mbps network bandwidth. My assumption is that wireless 802.11g is the slowest part in the connection. Perhaps that assumption is wrong. My throughput today was 1.8Mbps.  

A continued experiment was to copy the same files across the wired 100Mbps LAN. This transferred at 60% so at 60Mbps. This rules out the limiting factor is the receiving PC. It can receive at least up to 60Mbps. The limit is therefore the wireless link it seems.

« Last Edit: 04.04.06 at 14:14:05 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Copying files across a 802.11g 54Mbps network
Reply #2 - 12.04.06 at 11:50:42

This topic seems quite popular. May I invite everyone to post their experiences? Any tips on how to improve the speed across the wireless link would be greatly appreciated. Also it would be nice to hear of people that have achieved higher speeds.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1