Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Error inserting but no message could be retrieved (Read 4328 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Error inserting but no message could be retrieved
31.03.06 at 15:20:40

SQL*XL Jon from the UK sent in the following question.

Question:
I am getting an error when I try to insert multiple rows. All the rows insert, except the first. This gets a message 'There is an error. there was a problem inserting this row, but no error message could be retrieved'.

Has got me beaten....any clues? The record looks OK, indeed I managed on one occasion to insert just that
one row. second time I tried the problem was repeatable.

Best regards...Jon  

PS there are fights here at <<snip>> as to who gets the copies of SQL*XL. I have suggested to the boss that he get some more

Answer:
First of all, thank you for suggesting to get more licenses. Always welcome news...

Clearly SQL*XL has a problem to insert that one row from Excel into your database. In such an error situation SQL*XL tries to figure out what the problem may have been. First it will try to get the error from the driver. If there is no information available it will look at the errors in the programming environment. If no error is there either then nothing can be shown.  

If you ask me, it is very likely you use the OO4O driver. I have had some experiences with it in the past where it said an error occurred but that it could not find the error details.

I would suggest you try a different driver first.
Can you report which driver (OO4O?) you are using and which database type you are using (Oracle?)?
You can just reply to this message.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
jon Segar(Guest)

Re: Error inserting but no message could be retrie
Reply #1 - 03.04.06 at 17:53:35

Yes it is the 0040 driver.

The database version is Oracle version 9.2.0.5.0, running under Linux

Email   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Error inserting but no message could be retrie
Reply #2 - 04.04.06 at 10:36:21

It is worthwhile to try a different driver. I have not seen "blank" errors with other drivers. I hope OO4O is the exception here.

The OLE DB drivers (or prividers as they are called in ADO) are installed with SQL*XL on your PC. Please can you follow the procedures below to create a new OLE DB connection to your database to see whether the problem is resolved? It would be good if you could report back to this forum (by replying to this topic) whether it is fixed or not.

Connect to Oracle using OLE DB:
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/techniques/connecting/oracle_oledb.ht ml
Connect to Oracle using ODBC (more complicated):
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/techniques/connecting/oracle_odbc.htm l

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1