Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Connecting to M Technology: MUMPS (Read 10830 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Connecting to M Technology: MUMPS
30.03.06 at 16:28:11

Paul from the USA asked the following question:

Question:
My question is if you've looked into what it would take to allow access to a MUMPS database.  We use McKesson's Star applications for most of our hospital systems and although their newer software utilizes Oracle, the old system will be around for awhile.

Answer:
Interesting question. I have done some research:

MUMPS is an operating system / language runtime environment and database originally developed for use by the Massachusetts General Hospital. The language was also called MUMPS, or M or M Technology.

InterSystems have developed a version of mumps they called InterSystems MUMPS or ISM. They also have acquired version of MUMPS later from Digital Equipment Corp. called Digital Standard MUMPS or DSM. Then there is DataTree MUMPS or DTM for short and MSM orignially developed by Micronetics.

In 1997, InterSystems released Caché, a postrelational DBMS based on M technology. The initial customer base for Caché was heavily oriented in the healthcare direction, although there was some interest from the financial community owing to its high performance.

Other flavors and names I could find are:
DSM, MSM, ISM, Cache from InterSystems Corporation
MSE, HBOM from McKesson Corporation
M21 from M21, Ltd.
GTM from Sanchez Computer Associates

I choose to try out Cache from InterSystems. Interestingly the name MUMPS appears here and there in the documentation.

It worked well. I have successfully integrated SQL*XL against Cache. Support for Cache is built in from version SQL*XL 4.0.44.

See:
-SQL*XL: Excel Intersystems Cache Database ODBC Connection  
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/techniques/connecting/cache_odbc.html
-Create New Cache Datasource:
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/techniques/odbc_data_source_administr ator/create_data_source.html#cache

« Last Edit: 31.03.06 at 16:35:57 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
menter
YaBB Newbies

I Love SQL*XL

Re: Connecting to M Technology: MUMPS
Reply #1 - 16.04.07 at 20:43:44

If I understand your response SQL*XL did connect and work against Cache'.

I was under the impression that Cache' was an updated form of M which is somehow Object Oriented.

McKesson Star is a flavor of M.

The Mumps databases are hierarchical in nature and I would imagine that ADO would be good for pulling out the data and structures.

Normally a consolidation is required to combine the fields into one usable relational table.

How does SQL*XL view the data?

Regards,

Menter

IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Connecting to M Technology: MUMPS
Reply #2 - 16.04.07 at 20:49:28

SQL*XL gets the tables as they are presented by the drivers. In the case of CACHE I just saw the tables listed as they were defined in the CACHE database. I do not recall seeing something hierarchical. As far as I know ADO can only deal with relational tables. This is what SQL*XL uses. Some drivers however translate from hierarchical models to reletional tables. An example is the XML driver and the driver for LDAP.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1