Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
I cannot find our database tables (Read 4331 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

I cannot find our database tables
10.03.06 at 10:32:59

Margaret from the USA asked the following question.

Question:
I am able to connect with SQL*XL to the tables I have uploaded to the database.  
However I don't see the our server database tables listed is there a way to connect to them?

Answer:
It is very likely that these tables are kept in a different schema. I don't know which database type you are using but assuming it is Oracle or SQL Server (or other large database types) you may have this difficulty.

A schema is a owner of database objects. Usually it corresponds to a user but that is not a requirement. You have probably got your own schema which will likely be named the same as your user name.  
Your own tables will be created within this schema. When you logon to the database you will be able to access your own tables. When you load the SQL editor and look at the database objects list you will be able so select your schema and see your tables. You will also find other schemas there that have tables and views. It is here where the tables are that you are looking for.

Now, what if you cannot find these tables still.
It is possible that you have no access rights to them. The database administrator can set the privileges such that you cannot even see the tables. You need to ask your DBA to grant you select privileges to the tables you want to use.

A few tips:
Selecting data from a table that is not in your current schema you may need to prefix the table name with the schema name. E.g. this statement will select data from the emp table in the scott schema:
select * from scott.emp

If you use Oracle you can use the system view all_tables or all_views to find about the tables that are installed in the database. Note that you will not see the tables you have no access rights to:
select * from all_tables
select * from all_views

« Last Edit: 10.03.06 at 10:37:26 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: I cannot find our database tables
Reply #1 - 10.04.06 at 10:07:43

Guenther from Germany has the same problem today. From the screenprints Guenther provided I conclude that he finds the database objects list in the SQL editor confusing.

Guenther compares the database objects list of PL/SQL developer with the schema list in the SQL*XL SQL editor. PL/SQL developer presents all the tables of all schemas in one big list prefixing each table name with the schema name. Like this:
SCOTT.DEPT
SCOTT.EMP
SCOTT.SALGRDE

SQL*XL first presents a list of schemas. One of the schemas will be SCOTT. Opening the SCOTT node you will find a tables and views node. Open the tables node and you will find the same tables:
-SCHEMAS
  -GERRIT_JAN
  -SCOTT
     -Tables
      -DEPT
      -EMP
      -SALGRADE
     -Views

« Last Edit: 10.04.06 at 10:09:06 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged