Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Error: 'C:\...\sqlxl.xla' could not be found. (Read 6596 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Error: 'C:\...\sqlxl.xla' could not be found.
09.02.06 at 16:34:17

Al from the USA asked the following:

Question:
I installed a new version of SQL*XL and went to hit the SQL*XL menu in Excel but I get the message C:\Program Files\... cannot be found. I installed the software on the D drive since my C drive is getting a little low on memory. Is there any fix or do I have to install on the C drive?

Answer:
You can install it in any drive or directory. The problem is here that Excel still thinks SQL*XL is installed on the C drive.

In general it is best to install a new version of SQL*XL in the same directory as the old installation.

After installing the toolbar and menu in Excel, Excel remembers where SQL*XL is installed. Now you removed the SQL*XL installation and reinstalled it elsewhere. Excel still thinks it is in the old location.

Solution:
Every time SQL*XL starts it recreates the menu and toolbar in Excel. So the only thing you need to do is to start it once.

You can do this through the shortcut provided in your start menu of the computer.

You can also start SQL*XL by double clicking the file sqlxl.xla

« Last Edit: 04.04.06 at 10:39:47 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Error: 'C:\...\sqlxl.xla' could not be found.
Reply #1 - 04.04.06 at 10:43:04

SQL*XL user Raelyn had the same problem today trying to install on a new PC. I am posting it because the scenario is slightly different:

Question:
I have a user who does not have Admin privileges on her PC.  We had someone with Admin privileges install SQL*XL 4 for her.  However, when she starts up she receives an error  saying 'c:\Program Files \SQLXL3\sqlxl.xla' could not be found.  SQLXL4 still appears to work correctly -- the registration key is accepted and I appear to be able to do everything, but the SQLXL3 error is a bit annoying.

We have tried uninstalling and removing all sqlxl related files/references.  We have even gone through registers and tried to find SQLXL3 related things and removed them.  But we still get the same error.  One note is that if the person with Admin privileges logs on, he does not get the same error message.  Can you think of anything else I should check/remove?  Thanks.

Answer:
I think I know what it is. Admin and your user have different user settings (in the registry the current user branch). It is here where Excel remembers which programs are associated with the menu and toolbars. In the settings for your user for some reason Excel keeps pointing to the old SQL*XL 3 files which you have removed. Hence the error message.  

The solution is simple. Reset the menu back to Excel's defaults and remove the toolbar. See the manual uninstall topic for instructions. The just open sqlxl.xla using file, open in Excel. SQL*XL will recreate the menu and toolbar.

« Last Edit: 03.02.10 at 17:49:03 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Error: 'C:\...\sqlxl.xla' could not be found.
Reply #2 - 04.04.06 at 17:53:54

Realyn replied:
Unfortunately, that did not work.  However, it put us on the right track. Even though the Admin user had checked for sqlxl entries in the registry and didn't see any, we found one yesterday when the user logged in as herself.
It was in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options area.  Once we deleted that, everything worked fine.  Thanks...

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1