Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
Error initialising SQL*XL. Reinstall or report... (Read 3794 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Error initialising SQL*XL. Reinstall or report...
25.01.06 at 12:03:23

Peter from Denmark asked the following question:

Question:
I have installed the program as Administrator and when I log in as Administrator the program is working, but when I log in with my normal account I get an error when I start sqlxl.xla:

Error initialising SQL*XL. Reinstall or report a fault at www.oraxcel.com

Probably it's a problem with the correct user rights to some of the files the program installed.  

Answer:
This error is displayed when SQL*XL cannot access it's dlls. The sqlxl.xla program is only the interface. The real program logic is implemented in the dlls. This message means that the dlls could not be used.

The most likely reason for this error is that the dlls were not registered in the registry. The best thing to do is to install SQL*XL in a normal user account. The installer should register the dlls automatically. If this fails the installer will not display messages but you should be able to see the errors in the event log. See this article on how to view the event log and how to send it in to us for analysis:
http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/trouble_shooting/eventlog.html

You can manually register the dlls using the command line regsvr32 dllname.dll

When you hit a problem  you will see an error message. To view the list of SQL*XL dlls see:
http://www.oraxcel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134121829

In the past users have reported this problem to me when they did not have permissions to change the registry. In that case someone took the permissions away and people with the knowledge how to secure the registry usually also know how to manually register a few dlls. I suggest you ask them for help.

« Last Edit: 03.02.10 at 19:04:18 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Re: Error initialising SQL*XL. Reinstall or report
Reply #1 - 25.01.06 at 15:21:43

Peter replied:

It wasn't a registry problem.

The users group on my PC did not have permissions on the SQL*XL dlls such as litSQLXL.dll.

I added the group and gave it read and execution permissions. Now it is working fine.

Thank you for confirming Peter!
* Gerrit-Jan Linker

« Last Edit: 25.01.06 at 15:22:02 by Gerrit-Jan Linker »  

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
Pages: 1