Linker IT Software
Google
Web www.oraxcel.com
menubar-top-links menubar-top-rechts
Home Help Search Login
Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
SQL*XL: Database to Excel bridge litLIB: Excel power functions pack ExcelLock: Locking and securing your valuable Excel spreadsheets encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe encOffice: Protect your Excel file easy and safe
Pages: 1
SQL*XL menu and toolbar not showing up in Excel (Read 10295 times)
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

SQL*XL menu and toolbar not showing up in Excel
07.10.05 at 09:27:01

It seems that some customers do not see anything in Excel after the installation of SQL*XL. I am trying to work out why this is. I would like to start this topic to invite people to reply that experience this problem so I can hopefully find out how this can be fixed.

So far I managed to find three reasons:

• you need to load SQL*XL once first before it shows up in Excel. This can be done by running the shortcut the SQL*XL installer puts in your start menu. You can also start Excel and use File|Open to load sqlxl.xla
  • security set to very high. In very high security no macros are allowed to run at all. Set the security back to high or medium. Go to tools|macros|security
  • the Thawte root certificate is missing. SQL*XL uses a trusted digital certificate to be able to run in Excel. For it to work you must have the Thawte root certificate installed on your PC. It is a tiny 1kb download and can be downloaded from my website at:  
    http://www.oraxcel.com/projects/sqlxl/help/trouble%20shooting/Thawte%20Code%20Si gning%20CA.cer

I have now also included this certificate in the installer and it will show up as a menu item in the start menu. Just install the certificate to see whether this fixes your problem. I am trying to figure out now how to install the root certificate automatically. If anyone know how to do this, please let me know.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Email WWW Gerrit-Jan Linker   IP Logged
ndiaz
YaBB Newbies

Re: SQL*XL menu and toolbar not showing up in Exce
Reply #1 - 26.10.05 at 15:11:39

I'd installed the application normally, registered it's certificate and when I load sqlxl.xla I get an "compilation error" on module clsToolbar.

I'm using Office XP in Spanish.

Some suggest??

Thanks..

Nico

Email   IP Logged
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - 27.10.05 at 15:14:52

It is highly unlikely there is a coding error in the module. The file has beed downloaded soo many times now that other people will have hit the same problem by now. It is always executing when you use SQL*XL. You are the first to complain. So, this is not due to a coding problem.

I have had reports that compilation errors disappear when people reinstall Office. That seems to point to a missing file that is needed to run macros in Excel. Can you reinstall Office, the installer can perhaps repair the installation, and let us know what happens?

I do not think this is due to the Office language. You run the Spanish version. I have not heard about compile problems in non English versions of Excel.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 02.11.05 at 12:26:36

I tried MS Office 2000 SP3 today.  

SQL*XL worked absolutely fine. The only thing I needed to do was to install the Thawte root certificate. For some time now I include this root certificate in the SQL*XL setup. A shortcut in the SQL*XL 4 program group displays this root certificate. There is a button to install the certificate. After this SQL*XL is fine.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 27.12.05 at 14:41:48

Vincent from Spain found another cause of problem.

He reported that in his case the virus scanner Kasperski blocks the SQL*XL addin from running macros in Excel. If the runtime protection of Kasperski is enabled no menu and toolbar show in Excel.  

So it seems that if you use Kasperski you must turn off the runtime protection.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Gerrit-Jan Linker
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 28.03.06 at 13:14:52

Tony also confirms that KAV (Kasperski Anti Virus) is causing SQL*XL not to be shown in Excel.

Gerrit-Jan Linker
Linker IT Software
Pages: 1